Documents & Forms
The Creedmoor Volunteer Fire Department (CVFD) was founded in 1939 and has proudly served the citizens of Creedmoor and surrounding areas with an all-volunteer staff for over seventy years. Running between 350-400 calls per year, the CVFD provides fire and rescue coverage for the people of Southern Granville County as well as portions of Northern Wake and Durham Counties. The membership is supported by the City of Creedmoor, Granville County, and yearly fundraising.
To apply for a volunteer position, download and complete an application from the left side navigation. Applications are accepted Tuesdays between 7:30 a.m. and 9:00 p.m.
In 1939, Bob Garland Cross founded the Creedmoor Volunteer Fire Department by approaching townspeople asking for donations ranging from 5 cents to 1 dollar and help fighting fires. His first fifteen members were Carmel Allen, Garland Brogden, Raymond Clark, James Curl, Fonza Dunston, Joe Freeman, Joe Hester, F.R. Knott, Billy Mangum, Mashborn Mangum, Ed Neville, Ralph Neville, Cliff Taylor, George Washington Sr., and Clyde Womack.
The first fire apparatus included a 2 wheel pull hose cart, and later a trailer to carry buckets, ladders and hose. In 1946, they purchased a Chevrolet truck body with a cab adding a tank and pump. The first two bay fire station was built in 1957 using bricks and timber gathered from demolished Camp Butner barracks. Eventually, a third bay attached the station to City Hall. The first fire truck was a 1959 Ford F600 outfitted with Howe fire equipment at a cost of $24,000. Everyone said they would never pay it off, but through the beginning of Fireman’s Day, October 14, 1959, annual donations paid the debt. Fireman’s Day entitled a parade, Brunswick stew sold for $2.50 a plate at Creedmoor Lake, and a street dance with local musicians in front of the fire station. 1959 events gained their rating as Town Fire Department cutting insurance rates for the citizens leading the city to buy a 1960 Ford F800 fire truck.
In 1981, the Dutchville Fire District was organized as a rural fire district. December 6, 1981 marked the dedication of a new 6,000 square foot five bay station with seven trucks. Following the founding fire chief, Bob Cross, were Raymond Ray, Ed Rogers, Calvin Haskins, Skeeter Cross, and Bobby Ray. Among the most memorable fires were the burning of Creedmoor Elementary and the Main Street fire burning a warehouse, shoe shop, Farmer’s Exchange, and a furniture store.
Creedmoor Volunteer Fire Department
101 South Elm Street
Creedmoor, NC 27522
Chief: (919) 218-3222
Non-Emergency Phone/Fax: (919) 528-4400
NOTE: This phone is not normally monitored and will be answered only when personnel are at the station. For non-emergency calls, contact Creedmoor Police Department at (919) 528-1515. If you have an emergency, call 911.